01.19.2011

Transcript - Wednesday, January 19, 2011

 The Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde

Tribal Council Meeting

Governance Center

January 19, 2011

 

 

Tribal Council:

Present:              Tribal Council Member (TCM): Cheryle Kennedy (CK); Reynold Leno (RL); Valorie Sheker (VS); Steven L. Bobb Jr. (SB); Jack Giffen, Jr. (JG);

Toby McClary (TM); Chris Mercier (CM); Wink Soderberg (WS)

Excused:            Kathleen Tom (medical leave)

Invocation:         Steven L. Bobb, Sr., Tribal Council Member/Elder

Unidentified Voice:    (UV)

Council Member(s):    (MEMB)

Announcements: (See Minutes)

   Notices

   Events and Meetings

Other Business: (See Minutes also)

Transcript of Proceeding

Start Digital Disk #1

 

CK:                 Cheryle A. Kennedy, Tribal Council Chairwoman.  We'll call the meeting to order.  Today is Wednesday, January 19, 2011.  Steve, could you provide invocation, please? 

(STEVEN L. BOBB, SR. PROVIDED INVOCATION)

CK:                 I will call on Chris Mercier to be the Secretary.  Roll call, please?

CM:                 All right.  Cheryle Kennedy?

CK:                 Here.

CM:                 Reyn Leno?

RL:                  Here.

CM:                 Kathleen Tom?  She's sick.  Personal leave.  Steve Bobb, Sr.?

SB:                  Here.

CM:                 Jack Giffen, Jr.?

JG:                   Present.

CM:                 Toby McClary?

TM:                 Here.

CM:                 Chris Mercier?  I'm here.  Valorie Sheker?  

VS:                  Present.

CM:                 Wink Soderberg?  (Pause)

CK:                 He's here isn't he?

CM:                 Yeah.  He's here.  All right.  Well, he's here.

CK:                 Thank you.  Is there a motion to approve the absence?

SB:                  I move.

RL:                  Second.

CK:                 All in favor say aye.

MEMB:           Aye.  (In Unison) 

CK:                 Opposed?  Abstentions?  Absences are approved.  And we'll go ahead and move on to our fourth agenda item.  I will entertain a motion to approve or amend the January 5th Regular Tribal Council Meeting minutes?

JG:                   I'll move.

SB:                  Second.

CK:                 A motion's been made and seconded to approve the minutes.  All in favor say aye.

MEMB:           Aye. (In Unison)

CK:                 Opposed?  Abstentions?  Minutes are approved.  Order of Business.  We do not have Unfinished Business so we'll move right on into New Business.  The Legislative Action Committee met and we have numerous resolutions.

CM:                 Legislative Action Committee Meeting.  ODOT STG Transit Grant Application - resolution.  The committee met on January 11, 2011.  Present 5 of 9.  The recommendation was 5 yes.  The committee recommends that Tribal Council adopt a resolution authorizing the submission of an application to the State for the Tribe's $30,000 in STG State Discretionary Grant program funds. 

CK:                 Any comments or questions?  Hearing none is there a motion to approve the resolution?

SB:                  I'll move.

CM:                 Second.

CK:                 A motion's been made and seconded to approve ODOT STG Transit Grant Application - resolution.  All in favor say aye.

MEMB:           Aye. (In Unison)

CK:                 Opposed?  Abstentions?  The resolution is approved. 

CM:                 b.  ODOT 5310 Transit Grant Application - resolution.  The committee met on January 11, 2011.  There were 5 of 9 present.  The recommendation was 5 yes.  The committee recommends that Tribal Council adopt a resolution 1) amending the Grand Ronde Transit Plan priorities so that service to McMinnville is #1, Salem is #2, local collector service is #3, Dallas is #4, participating in the provision of transit service to Lincoln City is #5, and coordination with efforts to provide connector service to Tillamook is #6, 2) authorizing the submission of an application to the Oregon Public Transit Division for $112,669 in federal 5310 grant funds, and 3) authorizing the use of the Tribe's anticipated STG State Discretionary Grant funds to meet the match requirement for these federal funds. 

CK:                 Comments or questions?  Hearing none is there a motion to approve? 

VS:                  I'll move.

JG:                   Second.

CK:                 A motion's been made and seconded to approve the ODOT 5310 Transit Grant Application - resolution.  All in favor say aye.

MEMB:           Aye.  (In Unison)

CK:                 Opposed?  Abstentions?  The resolution carries.

CM:                 c.  Independent Audits Agreement for  Calendar Year 2010 and Calendar Year 2011 - resolution.  The committee met on January 11, 2011.  There was 5 of 9 present.  The recommendation was 5 yes.  The committee recommends that Tribal Council adopt a resolution authorizing the Finance Officer to negotiate, with the assistance of the Tribal Attorney, and execute agreements with Moss Adams, LLP for the 2010, 2011 and 2012 annual independent audits of the Tribe and all its components and enterprises. 

CK:                 Any comments or questions?  Is there a motion to approve? 

WS:                 I'll move.

SB:                  Second.

CK:                 A motion's been made and seconded to approve the Independent Audits Agreement for CY2010-CY2012 - resolution.  All in favor say aye.

MEMB:           Aye. (In Unison)

CK:                 Opposed?  Abstentions?  Resolution is approved. 

CM:                 d. Portland Harbor: City of Portland Early Restoration Agreement - resolution.  The committee met on January 18, 2011.  There were 7 of 9 present.  The recommendation was 7 yes.  The committee recommends that Tribal Council adopt a resolution 1) approving the Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with the City of Portland and 2) authorizing the Tribal Council Chairwoman, or in her absence the Tribal Vice-Chair, to sign the MOA for the Tribe. 

CK:                 Comments or questions?  Hearing none is there a motion to approve?

SB:                  I'll move.

JG:                   Second.

CK:                 A motion's been made and seconded to approve the Portland Harbor: City of Portland Early Restoration Agreement - resolution.  All in favor say aye.

MEMB:           Aye. (In Unison)

CK:                 Opposed? Abstentions?  The resolution carries. 

CM:                 e.  Portland Harbor: Linnton Plywood Association Agreement - resolution.  The committee met on January 18, 2011.  There were 7 of 9 present.  The recommendation was 7 yes.  The committee recommends that Tribal Council adopt a resolution 1) approving the Agreement with Linnton Plywood Association and 2) authorizing the Tribal Council Chairwoman or in her absence the Tribal Council Vice-Chair, to sign the Agreement for the Tribe. 

CK:                 Comments or questions?  Is there a motion to approve? 

TM:                 I'll move.

SB:                  Second.

CK:                 A motion's been made and seconded to approve the Portland Harbor Linnton Plywood Association Agreement - resolution.  All in favor say aye.

MEMB:           Aye. (In Unison)

CK:                 Opposed?  Abstentions?  Resolution is approved.

CM:                 f.  BPA CY2011 Coordination Funding Agreement - resolution.  The committee met on January 18, 2011.  There was 7 of 9 present.  The recommendation was 7 yes.  The committee recommends that Tribal Council adopt a resolution 1) approving the coordination funding agreement with the Bonneville Power Administration (BPA funding agreement) for an amount not to exceed $132,711 and 2) authorizing the Tribal Council Chairwoman, or in her absence the Tribal Council Vice-Chair to sign the BPA funding agreement for the Tribe. 

CK:                 Comments or questions?  Is there a motion to approve?

JG:                   I'll move.

SB:                  Second. 

CK:                 A motion's been made and seconded to approve the BPA CY2011 Coordination Funding Agreement - resolution.  All in favor say aye.

MEMB:           Aye. (In Unison)

CK:                 Opposed? Abstentions?  The resolution carries. 

CM:                 g. Enrollment Infant Determinations - resolution.  The committee met on January 18, 2011.  There were 7 of 9 present.  The recommendation was 7 yes.  The committee recommends that Tribal Council adopt a resolution approving three infants numbered #5994 through #5996 for Tribal membership, because, based on the investigation and recommendation of the Enrollment staff, the infants have been found to meet the eligibility requirements for enrollment as defined in the Enrollment Ordinance and Tribal Constitution. 

CK:                 Comments or questions?  Is there a motion to approve?

VS:                  I'll move.

SB:                  Second.

CK:                 A motion's been made and seconded to approve the Enrollment Infant Determinations - resolution numbered #5994 through #5996.  All in favor say aye.

MEMB:           Aye. (In Unison)

CK:                 Opposed?  Abstentions?  The resolution carries.

CM:                 h.  Enrollment Infant Determination Denial - resolution.  The committee met on January 10, 2011.  There were 7 of 9 present.  The recommendation was 7 yes.  The committee recommends that Tribal Council adopt a resolution denying membership to infant John Doe, date of birth 8/28/10, application received 10/18/10, because based on the investigation and recommendation of the enrollment staff the applicant does not meet the enrollment requirements of the Tribal Constitution and the Enrollment Ordinance. 

CK:                 Any comments or questions?  Is there a motion to approve?

SB:                  I'll move.

VS:                  Second.  A motion's been made and seconded to approve the Enrollment Infant Determination Denial - resolution.  All in favor say aye.

MEMB:           Aye. (In Unison)

CK:                 Opposed?  Abstentions?  The resolution carries. 

Announcements:

CK:                 We're now at announcements.  We've got several reminders and we've got the following notices.  The Sons and Daughters of Oregon Pioneers extend invitation to attend the Statehood Banquet commemorating 152nd Birthday on Sunday, February 13, 2011 at the Monarch Hotel from 12:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.  RSVP is requested by February 1st.  Is anyone planning on going to that?  If you do let Lauri know so she can get the RSVP in. 

                        The Native Wellness Institute's 6th Annual Native Caring Conference, March 30-31 here at Spirit Mountain Casino & Resort in Grand Ronde.  Early registration of $100 per participant if registered by March 11th or after March 11th registration fee is $125.  For more information you can contact Bonnie Mercier here in her office at 879-2060 or Judy Bowen at the State -- Oregon State Unit on Aging at 503/373-1842. 

                        The third notice is the Treaty to Trust to Carcieri: The Economic Future for Indian Lands offered by Arizona State University College of Law scheduled April 28-29th in Tempe, Arizona.  Anyone planning on attending that?  If you do let Lauri know so that arrangements can be made. 

                        And lastly, the Gathering of Oregon's First Nations Powwow is scheduled for Saturday, January 29th from noon to 9:00 p.m. at the Oregon State Fair and Expo Center's Salem pavilion at 2330 17th Street NE, Salem, Oregon.  Admission is free.  I do believe that there will be a parking charge though of $3.00 -- $3.00 for parking.  Grand Entry will be 1:00 p.m.  Are there any other announcements?  Toby?

TM:                 Yeah.  I have one.  I just wanted to update the membership.  Last Friday Councilman Jack Giffen and myself, Lisa from our Legal Department, and the entire board of Gaming Commission there went up to a consultation in Shelton, Washington with the National Indian Gaming Commission and I felt that the meeting was very productive.  I thought -- I felt that NIGC was very accepting of our -- our comments and our concerns.  I don't have previous experiences with NIGC and their strategies for creating regulations.  However, I -- I've been told that it's -- it's a lot different now with the election of new chairwoman of the NIGC, which is Traci Stevens, she's a Tulalip Tribal member.  But it appears that the relationship between the Tribes and -- and within NIGC are just going -- is going to be much stronger and more productive from this point forward and we're obviously hopeful that it will be but I just wanted to update the membership that Councilman Giffen and I attended the consultation and made comments and we were very pleased with the consultation and the direction that NIGC is going to help promote this relationship between the Tribes and I just wanted to make that -- make the membership aware of that -- that consultation.

CK:                 Thank you, Toby.  Any other announcements?  If not we will go ahead and I will open the floor for Other Business.  Just a reminder to all Tribal members that when making your comments please come to the microphone, identify yourself by your name and your roll number.  We also we do have a timer here but keep your comments to a minimum to ensure that all other members can provide -- have ample time for their comments.  Please be respectful of one another and the Tribal Council and yourself when you provide your comments.  With that I will open the floor.  Are you waiting, Jake, for the mic or --

JM:                  Jake McKnight, #1941, Tribal Patrol Officer.  No.  I'm just here to make sure you guys are safe.  (Laughter) 

CK:                 Thank you, Jake.

VS:                  Jake is our Tribal member and he's going to be attending the Academy.  He will be our first official Tribal Police Officer.  We're very proud. 

WS:                 The bad side to that is that Pete is going to be the sheriff.  (Laughter)

VF:                  Violet Folden, #615.  I would like you to know we sent all of our papers off today for the Saddle Club on our 501C3.  Hopefully that will be in place real soon and we can really start flying.  Things are really looking good out there.  So  --

VS:                  Congratulations.

VF:                  Thank you. 

BB:                  Betty Bly, #3544.  I was really alarmed when I heard that our Council member, Val Sheker, had been arrested and taken to jail.  I feel that this is a great embarrassment to our Tribe, one of our Council members would act in this manner in our casino and end up going to jail.  I also was told that Chris had received a DUI.  This is true?  No.  Well, I'm sorry that I said that then.  I know you did a long time ago.  But I know that there hasn't been any conviction or anything has it, Val?  But --

VS:                  Okay.  Also -- one thing because I, uh -- did anything against this person, I will not make comment on what happened but I would like to say that I am complete -- completely offended that you have heard the story, have read no documents on what happened, have not viewed the security tape, but you find me guilty and I thought it was innocent until proven guilty.  I will not discuss the incident.  When all is said and done I will speak to you freely and give you all the evidence that I have collected that my attorneys -- I have two attorneys that are working on this for me.  And I feel I am innocent until proven guilty but you have heard a story?  You have been told things but you have never came and asked me anything.  And so that embarrasses me and that's all I will be saying about that incident until Court is said and done. 

BB:                  Well, just the fact that you were arrested and taken to jail embarrasses me, Val.  And I think that it probably embarrasses a lot of the other Tribal members too.  And I just wanted to say that because I think that there were -- there are a lot of other Tribal members here that wanted to get up and say that but they were just waiting for someone else to do it.  Thank you.

RP:                  Raymond Petite, Jr., #624.  I really -- I don't usually speak or say anything but what I've got to say I say for the -- for everybody.  All of us are not perfect.  And we might not get arrested but we know we do things that are not right for what is said about us.  And I don't think anybody has the right to say something about somebody unless they have facts or whatever.  And I'm saying that from my heart because we're all one people, why can't we be one people?  But I don't think it's right that somebody, you know, what I'm going to do is come up here and we say what's on our mind and that's fine.  Until you get the facts don't judge them because who are you to judge other people except through yourself.  And if anybody out here thinks they're perfect like that old saying goes, when you think you're perfect I want to see you walk on water and that's all I've got to say.  (Applause)

BG:                 Brenda Gray, #339.  You know, this whole situation I know quite a bit about it but I said it's a shame a Councilman did do that and I'm sorry if you did that, Val.  You know, I'm speaking -- you know, and it is a shame because I have to hear it from everybody down at the casino.  Some of them have seen the tapes and it is a sad situation.  And I know what it was over and that's what's sadder because us membership has our rights too.  We don't need to be worried about somebody coming up and screaming and cussing at us and (unintelligible).  You know, we have our rights just like you do, just as a Councilman, but, you know, the only thing with you guys on Council, you guys are held higher.  You represent all of us, you know, and I'm sorry that all this has come down, it is a shame, but you represent us, Val, and just a lot of things are going on and I just had to say that, you know.  And I'm just sad that it has come down to the membership to do what they're doing, you know, because don't you guys even think about why this is going around?  Have you guys even thought about it or even tried to work something out with the membership?  Say, hey, we're working together on this?  But, no, we haven't heard none of that.  All we hear is we're going to do it one way or the other.  Well, the membership has their rights too and it is a shame that it has come down to this and -- but I'm not putting no blame on nobody because it was just a situation that shouldn't have happened and I'm sorry it did but, you know, I know the situation and why it did it.

VS:                  Excuse me but I need to respond to you.  Number one, if anybody viewed that tape at the casino it's illegal.  I -- I -- you can only view that tape through a subpoena through an attorney.  And -- and, once again, you know why I (unintelligible) and you have (unintelligible).

BG:                 I didn't (unintelligible). 

VS:                  Okay.  I -- I don't want to say anything.  You're right.  I'm wrong.

BG:                 I did -- I said I didn't view it.  It's just what I'm hearing down there. 

VS:                  That's the key word.  That's what you're hearing. 

BG:                 Yeah. 

CK:                 Do you have anything further, Brenda?

BG:                 No, I don't. 

JH:                   Janell Haller, #1523.  I guess my first and foremost question on (unintelligible) is isn't it restrictive from doing any type of political campaigning at the casino?  Was this document not a political piece document?  So, why are we not addressing that?  And -- and I totally agree with Val.  It's highly restrictive for anybody to see those security tapes and -- and if -- if her security had been (unintelligible) from this area it's not security.  So, therefore if that breach of (unintelligible) has happened then we have a real problem down there.  Thank you.

CK:                 Thank you, Janell.  Toby?

TM:                 I just want to make one quick comment.  That any -- I don't know where the incident  took place but any -- any non-gaming areas at the casino is actually -- the footage belongs to security and they are the ones that view that -- view that footage.  So, it wouldn't be -- if it happened in a non-gaming area then security is over that area if -- if it's a gaming area then we'd be (unintelligible).

JH:                   All right.  But aren't they restricted by confidentiality?

CK:                 Well, we --

TM:                 Absolutely.  The only way that those tapes can be turned over is -- is -- Val is right by a subpoena for court and they are (unintelligible).

CK:                 Well -- well, before we do that I need to ask permission of the -- our members who are standing for the (unintelligible).  All right.  Let's -- go ahead.  Tyrell?

TS:                   Tyrell Soderberg, #1797, Gaming Commission Employee.  I just want to kind of clarify what was said (unintelligible) but Toby is right, we don't (unintelligible) on the gaming floor unless security was -- main security and (unintelligible) and certainly entertain that on the surveillance and myself could (unintelligible).  I mean, it kind of bothers me that there's people out there that might have seen this (unintelligible) and that the policy is (unintelligible).

BG:                 I didn't like (unintelligible) to see it (unintelligible).

TS:                   Okay.  Well, I -- I wasn't -- (unintelligible).

CK:                 Charlotte?

CG:                 Charlotte Gray, #1517.  Within the last two months I have had two different people steal my tickets from the machine.  I never got to see those tapes because they said it was against the policy down there.  The first one the casino caught them and I got paid back my money.  The second one I got it, yeah, but I asked to see them and they said no. 

CK:                 Thank you, Charlotte. 

VF:                  Violet Folden, #625.  You know, I know this is a very sad and embarrassing incident for Val.  I -- I won't even pretend that I don't think so.  And I'm sure a good share of us in this room has had things happen to us that are just as embarrassing, if not a little more embarrassing, and we would hate like hell to have them bring it up here and air out that laundry on this podium.  I just find it very wrong.  That's her personal business.  Let her take care of that.  Our biggest problem I think in this Tribe and I'm going to make a lot of people mad by this statement, there is too damn many sitting here all greedy for that all mighty dollar they get from this Tribe and they do very little, very little to put back in.  I mean, they don't give it nothing.  I don't see them lifting a finger no where to help nobody but boy they're there for that dollar and that really irritates me.  It makes me so damn mad I could just spit nails.  Thank you.  (Applause)

VS:                  Thank you, Violet. 

CK:                 Brenda?

BG:                 Brenda Gray, #339.  Hey.  I did not say I have viewed that tape.  I'm talking about certain ones that did and they -- you know, it's just the talk of the casino and another thing he was not showing that in the casino, pure and simple.  So, it was no political thing about it.  So, you know, I'm just putting that straight out here and it's just a shame that it has gone this far.  Let's read our constitution how you guys are supposed to act and how you represent our Tribe.

VS:                  Not true.

BG:                 It's there and if you read that in the ordinance you'll know that you represent us 24/7.

VS:                  Brenda?

BG:                 Your actions, your words.  Everything. 

VS:                  Can I speak --

BG:                 You represent us.

CK:                 All right.

VS:                  Can I speak now?  Anybody who had viewed that tape and discussed it openly in public I think is a violation of the gaming ordinance and so I will address that also with my attorneys.  And the petition that his person had, he -- I had 10 Tribal members come up to me angry and frustrated that security was not stopping him from harassing guests.  So, yes, he did have it out.  He did have it on the gaming floor and he was shoving it in people's faces.  So, when you say he did not have it out on the gaming floor I'm sure the tapes prior to the incident will show that he did and they will be witnesses at the trial as well, so --

CK:                 Do we have any other business?  Charlotte?

CG:                 Charlotte Gray, #1517.  I sort of heard a rumor today that the Tribe is going to sponsor the Rose Festival for over $200 million dollars or thousands, whatever it is and for three years and there's a raise for each year for this but yet they're talking about dropping our membership services and also the per cap.  Why?  I think that's a little bit high for marketing. 

CK:                 Her question is (unintelligible) sponsorship.

RL:                  Reyn Leno, TCM.  Well, Steve asked me about this the other day but, yeah, I believe the decision of the casino was to sponsor it and I think it's a three year sponsorship.  I believe they're going to still try and stay on track with the amount that we cut, we actually reduced last year for the float piece.  It's going to come out of their budget for marketing.  The marketing budget was reduced this year.  I believe it was  reduced $3 million down to $27 million.  So, that is in place.

CG:                 Is their budget different than our budget here?

RL:                  Well, they have a -- they have a budget that the board approves down there and then whatever is left over comes to the Tribe as a dividend. 

CG:                 Okay.  Thanks.  I don't understand how they can sponsor that money and drop out services and give us very little for per cap.

RL:                  Well, the service -- that's renewed and to the -- the dividend to the Tribe pretty much stayed on line.  I think we have -- I forgot what the numbers were but we've stayed right around $80 million basically.  So, the -- the casino is not cutting our services to the Tribe for the membership.  That -- that actually is done by the budget that is approved by Council and we base that on what is left -- what is given to us by the casino as dividend. 

CG:                 Okay. 

RL:                  But if they choose to and I -- I don't know what exactly the situation was but in long term planning if -- if they foreseen doing this Rose Festival and plan accordingly then it was basically in their budget.  Now if they didn't and then if they reduced other costs in marketing to cover that I don't know but basically they're given a budget to work on and I believe this year it was $27 million. 

CG:                 Okay.  I was just curious.  Thanks.

WS:                 Cheryle?

CK:                 Yes? 

WS:                 I -- I've got a comment too.  Because, you know, we have staff down there and I think that's a very good staff, uh, they develop a budget and the sponsorship is part of the marketing budget and, you know, it -- it's their strategy on how to expand those marketing dollars to bring in the most income to the Tribe.  So, if they -- those (unintelligible) they see -- or see that the -- that this -- they should spend some of their marketing dollars on -- in this arena, you know, to get a return on investment I'm not one to say that that isn't the best strategy, you know.  Year in and year out we have made a lot of money from our casino.  It's been very profitable.  So, I'm -- I'm not one to say that their strategy isn't working. 

CK:                 Val?

VS:                  I didn't agree with this sponsorship at -- at the Rose Festival this year.  It's like $133,000 contract, increased by three percent a year plus the float can range anywhere from $70,000 down to --  what did he say, uh, 30?  $30,000 to $70,000?  $60,000 to $100,000 for the float.  So, that's every year for three years and in a time where per capita checks are at $725 and that where we're looking at a health plan to redesign it so it doesn't cost as much, that Social Services had their clothing voucher for the -- the children -- low income children cut and services are being cut, uh, regardless if they put it in their budget or not doesn't make a difference to me.  It's up to the --  the Council or the Board -- the Council that serves on the Board to say this is something that we really don't need to do this year.  We're not earning as much money.  We're going to need to address this Cowlitz thing and we really want to be able to give the elders a bonus and to be able to reel in those high cost things.  And -- and it doesn't hurt to not do them for a year.  It -- it really would not hurt.  And that's my opinion on it.  I've asked for the marketing formula from Rodney and there's a formula that -- that we should be going by, by every dollar we invest.  What's the formula on the return?  So, we invest one dollar do we expect to get 50 cents?  $1.50 back?  And -- and I'm sure there has to be one somewhere.  I mean that -- that would just be a -- a very simple marketing concept but the big dollar items like the Rose Festival I think that when we're asking managers to go without raises, we're asking the elders to go without an increase, and we're asking departments to cut some of their benefits to members, I think at a time like this that that, in my opinion, is a complete waste of money.  And so that's just how I feel about it.  I'm not saying it's wrong that -- that they approved it.  I'm just saying that's my opinion. 

CK:                 Thank you, Val.  Steve?

SB:                  Yeah.  There's -- there's lots of things at play here that I think a lot of people don't understand.  You go by the casino and you see -- you go, hey, boy the parking lot is full and there's a lot of people there.  Things like that don't automatically happen.  They happen because we have a marketing program down there and that's their job to keep people coming in that door.  It's been said that we're the only game in town.  Well, you know how fast people forget who you are and (unintelligible).  This is strategy from the marketing.  All you see is the end.  You don't see all the things that it takes to even to get to that end.  And if we just bowed out, don't keep our name out there, there's a -- there's a few things with the Rose Festival sponsorship.  One of the big things is we have lots of people in other tribes coming at us, trying to claim our ceded lands as their ceded lands.  This is another vehicle for us to make a statement that this is our ceded lands, the Portland metropolitan area is in our ceded lands, and that we are the people of this valley.  Not Siletz.  Not Warm Springs.  Not Cowlitz.  But we have these people coming at us from all directions and it's -- this is another strategy to get our name out there that we -- that Grand Ronde is the people of this valley and the metropolitan area is in our ceded lands.  So, you have that -- that piece of it working for us and you still have to keep your name out there.  If we don't do anything people will forget who we are really fast and then that's what you're going to feel in the end.  So, all you -- all you see is the -- the end product but there's a lot of things going on here that make that end product and marketing is a huge part of that. 

CK:                 Betty?  Let's go ahead and let Betty speak and then we'll come back to you, Val.

VS:                  Okay.

BB:                  Betty Bly, #3544.  I wanted to ask a question about the budget and that was whether or not the Foster Care Program had been completely funded? 

CK:                 I will defer to our finance officer.

DF:                  Dave Fullerton, Social Service Manager.  We don't have our budgets, we just talked about that at the manager's meeting, yet so we haven't been issued our final approved budget yet.  So, we don't know where -- what our final standing is for budgets. 

BB:                  So, you don't even have your budget yet?

DF:                  No.

BB:                  Not for Social Services or --

DF:                  None -- none of the Departments do. 

RA:                 Rick Anderson, Acting Finance Officer.   And -- and, Betty, we'll have that information out in Tilxam Wawa here in the next two weeks.  So, you'll be getting that here and it should go out by the end of January for sure.  You know, have that in summary in each of the departments.  So, we've got the numbers.  We just don't have them all completed yet and we don't have the --  the complete budgets back to the managers.

BB:                  So, none of the departments know what their -- what their -- what their budgets are at this time?

RA:                 They do as far as what was discussed before the final adopted budget.  So, they -- they know their numbers in total and most of them are -- are what was submitted or what was discussed during December and we had a lot of discussions with managers both -- both before the budget presentation in November and then through the month of December and we went back and -- and had to, you know, cut that  $6.2 million to get the budget balanced.  So, they have a pretty good idea of their numbers.  A lot of them have exact numbers.  Dave must not have all his Social Service's budgets back to him yet but they are ready and like I say we'll have that information all summarized in the -- the final adopted budget allocation in the Tilxam Wawa. 

BB:                  So, uh, how about the school clothes allocation?  Are you going to be able to do that this year?

CK:                 We're -- we're talking about the same budget so I'm -- I'm not sure -- has someone told you that these programs weren't funded, Betty?

BB:                  It was my understanding that they weren't fully funded and so that's why I'm asking these questions. 

CK:                 Well, as Dave -- what I understand Dave to say is he doesn't have his budget yet, uh, so I guess I'm -- I'm at a loss and my (unintelligible) to our Finance Officer.

RA:                 Yeah.  For that and -- and I don't know if Dave remembers the number he had been before exactly for the school clothes but that was not cut, I know that, as far as the -- the initial number that he had before the -- the presentation. 

BB:                  Okay.

RA:                 Now, back -- we worked very, very hard for those types of direct payments for members not to be cut in the process. 

BB:                  Okay. 

RA:                 Especially -- and especially that. 

BB:                  I wanted to ask Reyn a question.  I've heard you mention several times about the $300 and some million dollars that we have, uh, and when do you expect the membership to allow the Council to use this money?  If you were to use this money what would you use it for? 

RL:                  Well, I -- I think we talked about that and -- and we talked -- we'd talk about it throughout this year and if we ever would get to the place it would be -- we'd talk about it direct here to the membership, like help one and the interest you'd be able to use some of that for education.  You'd use some towards education, different ones.  I think that's what Council -- we're actually had one meeting on it trying to figure out eventually -- I think with the Cowlitz situation now and that looming over us I think we probably wouldn't use it right away but it's not going -- I mean I think we need to have a plan for that.   And I think on this school clothes deal, these were talked about actually at the budget meeting and I was actually the one that  brought them up.  And my thing is we -- we haven't re-evaluated the cost on the school clothes and we always tend to run out way before because, you know, we're still expecting people to go out and buy a pair of tennis shoes for $10 bucks or something and you can't do that and -- and the list is long and we haven't re -- re-evaluated what the cost of clothes is today from the time we originally set that program up and we need to make that adjustment so we can put more -- so we can put more clothes out there for kids.  And I believe in the foster care there was $10,000 cut in two different places there.  That was in the last budget that was printed and for Council before we approved Council that night.  So, I presume that $20,000 was not in the budget.  So, them are the types of things.

BB:                  Yep.  That's what I was talking about. 

CK:                 Are you through, Betty?

BB:                  Yes.  I just wanted to hear what Toby had to say.

CK:                 Yeah.  I didn't want to cut you off and move to him.  Toby?

TM:                 Yeah.  I was going to address a couple of Betty's questions.  My -- if my memory serves me correctly I think the school clothes specifically was funded at that same amount as it was last year.  So, it didn't get cut but it is the same amount is (unintelligible) if I remember correctly.  Because I remember it being a -- a discussion point during the -- preparing a budget process.  And then on the Endowments I just want to clarify that I know that when I was discussing the endowments it's never been -- and I'm assuming that the $300 million that you're  talking about is -- you're referring to the endowments it's never been using that money from the endowments.  It's always been using the growth of that money and how --

BB:                  Yeah.  The interest.

TM:                 And how we can make that -- or --  you know or the growth through stocks and bonds but when -- when we use the growth of that money where -- the principal would always, you know, it wouldn't ever be touched back in a lot of these endowments but continue to grow, just not at the same pace but, you know, when -- when you use those endowments -- the growth of those endowments to start  working for the current membership and for that (unintelligible) to take place.  So, I just wanted to clarify that it's not -- you're not using the principal of the endowments.  You're actually using the growth of the endowments so I wanted to make that clear. 

BB:                  The other question I wanted to ask was whether or not the -- the program to include in the history books for -- for Grand Ronde schools about the Native Americans in this area so our Native American children would be taught the proper history of this area what was the cost of doing that? 

RL:                  April's back there but I believe it was like about $13,000. 

BB:                  It was only $13,000?

RL:                  $14,000? 

AC:                 April Campbell, Education Manager.  $14,600.

BB:                  And did we fund that?

RA:                 No.

BB:                  So, we did not fund that.  So, if we do come up with partial funding would Tribal Council be willing to match the -- if we could come up with half of the money would Tribal Council be willing to come up with the other half? 

CK:                 Well, we're not able to make that decision right here and now in light that we're still looking at the budget and other things that are coming forward.  But one of the things I'll just touch on, Betty, in your exploration about whether or not the history will enter into the public school system, there's an effort that's going on right now to change the teaching history in Oregon.  The Commission on Indian Services that I'm a member they're looking at adopting a law this year, because this is a year that we can introduce new bills and possibly get them through the system but the sentiment of not only out Tribe but of the other eight Tribes in Oregon is that the entire Oregon Indian Tribal history is not in any of the books.  And so we want to change that and there have been discussions with the superintendent, Castillo, about that -- that very effort.  So, it -- it's something that we're working on -- from that broader area to this specific, you know, impact of a local school which, I think, in theory everyone supports.  We want that history out there.  It's got to be out there.  And -- and it's got to be within our own membership.  Our own children need to know the history because I'm -- I'm not real sure our own kids know our history.  So, there has to be --

BB:                  No, they don't.

CK:                 There has to be that real home grown grass roots effort that has to occur as well.

BB:                  Right.  Okay.  That's -- that's about all the questions.  Thank you. 

CK:                 You're welcome, Betty.  Lelani?

LF:                  LeLani Folden, #1939.  I have a question.  Actually I have a couple.  Is Council aware what happened at the casino last Sunday with the coupons that go out to the high (unintelligible) players?  Because we're talking about marketing and I know there was a pretty substantial budget being set up for marketing whether or not there's a (unintelligible) I don't know but it's very disconcerting to find out that a $5 coupon that's supposed -- that was being mailed to up to $4,000 people and I'm using these numbers respectively, that's my understanding, uh, the coupon amount was for $50.  So, instead of a $20,000 campaign to get people into play we're talking about a $200,000 campaign and apparently it was a misprint.  Now based on what I saw when I left the Council meeting last Sunday that casino was rockin'  So, I'm going to say we dodged a bullet, got lucky, and probably at the very minimum held our own but at the same time if we're talking about substantial budgets for these departments there's going to have to be accountability to what's going on.  Now, I also understand as of right now that the recent mailers that went out this week clearly state that misprints will not be honored.  They were not there before.  That was not how they read it.  So, they ought -- and the casino honored them, there being the CEO and -- and some others were called in and they honored them because a lot of people showed up from far away.  They got $50 in free play they're going to come play but it just as easily could have been a real hard hit for us and I -- I think you need to, you know, really think about what's going on there.  The other question I have, Jack, uh, when I talked last week you talked a little bit about the chief-of-staff position and I can't -- I couldn't remember exactly how you put it that the money was a -- where did that money come from that you were --  that there was -- they were considering creating another position?  Was it in a program that there was left over money or -- somebody said something about the money being available because programs didn't need as much or they were cancelling their programs.  Something to that effect. 

JG:                   No, I -- I didn't say where the money was coming from.  I said they had to allocate it.

LF:                  Okay.  Maybe that's how you put it.  Right now --

JG:                   I said they allocate it in the budget process. 

LF:                  Okay.  But somehow --

JG:                   Whether I agree with the position or not, which I don't agree with.

LF:                  Right.  Because somehow there was some money that was allow -- allocated to be funded towards something.  My question would be is why would that money be funded to give the elders a COLA raise?  The elders haven't had a raise either in how many years and to me if we have a downfall like that or a windfall, whatever you want to call it, uh, a little bit of extra money to -- we are not sure what we're going to do with it let's be sure about it.  Let's get it out here where it goes.  The elders (unintelligible) more than anyone and when you have a cost of living raise and they don't get it too it's pretty sad.

CK:                 Thank you.

VS:                  Thank you, Lelani. 

TM:                 Cheryle?

CK:                 Yes.  Toby?

TM:                 I -- Lelani, before you go too far I just want to address your $50 voucher comment.

LF:                  I didn't get one.

TM:                 Sorry.  We'll try to get your name on the mailing list.  That's a joke. 

LF:                  (Chuckling).  I'll let you know if it get there. 

TM:                 It -- it was brought to Council.  It was --

LF:                  It was?

TM:                 Yes. 

LF:                  Okay.

TM:                 It was -- Council was made aware of that.  It was a printing error and the printing company actually is picking up a large percentage of the cost and with that we actually made money on those -- on those vouchers. 

LF:                  That's a (unintelligible) the people there.

TM:                 So, it -- it was -- it was a mistake.  I think it was -- it was handled on our level and it was handled on the casino level and -- and so I just wanted you to have some peace of mind that it was brought to Council's attention.  It was addressed on -- on both levels.  Both on our level and on the casino level and the printing company agreed to pick up some of the lost -- lost money -- or some of the errored money and we ended up -- we did end up making a significant amount of money off of those and I just wanted to let you know. 

LF:                  Okay.  Thanks.

SB:                  Let's do it again. 

CK:                 Mr. Jeffers, are you --

SJ:                   Stanley Jeffers, #1320.  Yes.  I'm just hearing -- get things straight.  I don't know if you guys had an opportunity to check out what happened to me at the casino the other night or had a chance to observe the tapes or anything else but I just came here to tell you that I've done everything legal and I'm kind of upset about what happened.  Went around just now and (unintelligible) and what happened to me at the casino the other night I found appalling, disheartening and I really don't have any faith in you'all no more at all.  And so I -- I think the -- the ball is in your court now and I hope that you observe all the evidence and look at the records and my doctor is willing to testify that what happened to me was this close for me facing death.  If the (unintelligible) I could have died.  And whether she knew it or not that's the case and my doctor is willing to testify to that in court when the time comes if that's where we need to go.  But what happened to me I -- I didn't even want to come here because my stomach is turned today.  And if my dad knew and my grandpa knew they're probably turning in their grave right now.  But I just wanted to come here and tell you that what happened to me -- I don't even know what to tell you.  I don't even know how to act but I just wanted you to hear and -- look you all in the eyes and tell you whether I need to get an attorney or not.  Whether you're going to handle this proper because the only way I see it is simply this we put you all in office to represent us for out best interests and to look after us, whether we're young or old or in between, and you might as  well have stabbed me with a knife because I don't even know what to do now.  I don't -- I don't know what to do.  I don't even want to tell my relatives.  I don't know what to tell my sisters.  I don't have any brothers, of course, but I don't know.  But I can tell you just from the people that I talk to they're just as appalled as I am that this happened to me.  I don't know.  Maybe I'm the chosen one, I don't know, but it was wrong and I'm devastated.  So, I'm coming to you Council members because I did elect you.  I did vote for you in the past and in the future and everything else.  And I may be dying, you know, I don't know.  I -- I'm sorry that I was late today but I was in the hospital getting my weekly injections to try to save my life and -- so the ball is in your court right now but I'm hoping --  I just have this little tiny bit of hope now that you've given me right now and, you know, why not.  And you can contact me if you want to hear it from the horse's mouth I'll come and tell you exactly what happened to me.  And I gave you guys some papers here yesterday.  I don't know if you've got it all a chance to look at it and go and see the tape at the casino or anything else but I hope you do.  And -- and I really want to believe that you're going to do the right thing because if we don't do the right thing here then I have to look at all these people right here and I have to look at my relatives and I have to tell them why this wasn't handled right.  Now, I can do it.  Believe me.  I -- I've got that probably from the Marine Corp.  I can stand here and I can tell everybody exactly what happened but I don't want to waste the court's time -- or the Council's time or anything else.  I just come here to say my peace and you can go on that and I look forward to hearing from each and every one of you on what you're going to do and how  you're going to handle this because I have to tell these people I am in contact with most of these people and all of my relatives almost everyday, not by phone, by talking to them every and everything else.  That's the way I've been the whole time I've come here from Alaska to help build everything that's here on this reservation and the casino and the hotels.  Everything.  I had a hand in it because I thought I was going something good for my people.  Now a lot of these people don't know who I am but I am a Tribal member and that's the way I want to be treated by them.  I want them to come to me and say that they have respect for me.  They honor everything I've done and that's the way I want to be remembered.  And what we have to face right now today is the biggest decision in every one of our lives where we go from this point on.  That's why I come here today because I -- I was at home after I come home from the hospital because I usually lay down and I rest and try to get my wind.  And I got a phone call that says that I wasn't here at this Council meeting because I was chicken.  Well, I'm not chicken.  I'm here.  I got up out of my bed and came here today. 

CM:                 Stan, your -- we have a five minute time limit but you're welcome to --

SJ:                   Okay.

CM:                 -- come back up.

CK:                 Toby?

TM:                 I'll like -- I'd like to make a response to Mr. Jeffers before you take off.  I -- I do want to say I think it's a little unfair for you to say that you don't have faith in -- in any of us based on our response to this because I don't even feel like we've had time to respond at all.  I -- this is something that you -- you put some documentation in our boxes yesterday and I actually just reviewed it probably a hour and a half ago.  So, I don't -- we -- we really haven't even had a chance to respond.  I will say because I believe being in the positions that we are in if there is an arrest or -- or things like that I do feel there's a responsibility of Council to review that and -- and, you know, privately discuss that and -- and see how we want to -- how the -- but then the majority, what the entire Council wants to move forward on that.  So, I would expect there to be discussion about -- about this.  Again, I -- I don't really know the events that transpired on the evening that you're talking about but -- that my knowledge of -- of what happened is pretty limited at this point but I -- I do expect there to be a discussion amongst the nine of us to -- to see, you know, how we're going to move forward and -- and, you know, what -- what the result -- the final result is going to be.  So, I just wanted to make that statement before you left. 

SJ:                   Okay.  Thank you. 

CK:                 Reyn?

RL:                  Yeah.  Stanley or whoever, I guess I'm a little confused here on this issue because basically Council can only reprimand a Council person if they're found to have done something inappropriate and that means write a letter of apology or basically Council would put it in their words of the situation.  Past that, uh, ethics charges are not handled by this Council.  We don't determine, if I'm correct, Rob, they are turned over to a hearings officer and a hearings officer does their investigation and determines an outcome.  We are not the judge on this.  We changed that ordinance a long time ago.  As a matter of fact, we changed it when I got sanctioned.  So -- because Council said we are not the judges anymore.  We don't want to be judges.  We're not the judges.  So, if you're filing an ethics charge then -- then Council has to basically pick a hearings officer.  If you're just filing a complaint but it's still going to come down to basically Val being innocent until actually proven guilty on an issue, so -- and we've dealt with some of these issues.  So, uh, I -- I don't know which one we're dealing with but as far as us being the judges on this we're not the judges on this.

TM:                 So, correct me if I'm wrong, Rob, but a hearings officer would investigate the situation and if -- if an ethic charge is filled and then a recommendation for a sanction would be made to Council and then it would then become up to Council as to whether or not to enforce that -- that's my understanding and -- and, again, Rob, if you would correct me if I (unintelligible). 

RG:                 Rob Greene, Tribal Attorney.  You know, we've been through this before and the hearing officer is the finder of fact, which makes a recommendations as what the sanction should be and we've had the question for in terms of what individual Council members have been required to do.  We have had cases that speak of individual parties but someone probably remember in terms of the Council members had disagreements with those and we sorted through those but in general hearings officer hears a case, he makes findings, he makes recommendations.  The only person that can impose the sanction is Tribal Council. 

CK:                 Thank you.  Jolanda?

JC:                   Jolanda Catabay, #3424.  I just want to make some responses and comments regarding some of the items that were brought up by some tribal members.  The first one is the sponsorship for the Rose Festival Parade.  I'm not sure whether I read that in Smoke Signals or in the Oregonian, which I get.  I believe that it's a great honor to be the sponsorship for the Rose Festival for Portland, Oregon.  It's well-known.  It's been around for a number of years.  And for me and I know the -- you know, because of the economy and (unintelligible) sometimes it can't be about money.  Sometimes it's just representative and that's what we're trying to do and as Steve Bobb stated it sometimes -- that's more important and I think it's a great honor for our Tribe to do the sponsorship for that.   Also on the Sunday happening at the casino with the $50 surplus so to speak, I don't know, it could be (unintelligible) marketing.  It's a great one.  It was even though it was proven to be a mistake by -- by the printers that casino if anybody was down there was completely packed.  It was packed.  There was no money that exchanged hands from, you know, the casino unless you won it out of a machine and I didn't see any big winners and I was down there and they only honored it if you brought the mailed coupon with you, you were honored for $50.  Let's say you had a $10 coupon and you were honored an extra $40, okay, so I think it was a great ploy.  It turned out the -- they probably spent, what, twice as much as what they were given in the machine to play.  So, I hope they do it again some time and I must say I thought it was great because I know we made big money that night.  Thank you.

CK:                 Thank you, Jolanda.

CM:                 And actually Steve, weren't you doing a karaoke contest that day too?

RL:                  Oh, yeah.  (Laughter) 

JC:                   Oh, real quick.  I have one more comment.  You know, it looks like our marketing -- I think it's marketing down there in the events center since -- well, most of the time it's just live bands in the past that have been there they've been created (unintelligible) and some of the things that they're doing and they have these special bingo night and I -- I happened to go to it.  It was starting at 10 o'clock.  It didn't start out very well.  They did it the Saturday, I believe, there was a drawing or something.  Anyway, when they thought they were only going to get maybe a couple hundred because on a regular bingo night you will be seeing maybe 50 to 100, they had like something like more than 500 people show up.  They were an hour late starting.  Packets were $10 each.  The payout were minimal.  Everybody enjoyed themselves.  I mean, I think those are really good creative inexpensive things for us to do and I applaud the marketing people down there if -- if they're getting creative because I think these are the kinds of things that we need to do and they're thinking about how we spend our dollars.  And -- and the crowd that I talked to that were from Portland and wherever were a little upset.  They had to wait over an hour to get their packets but once it got started everybody enjoyed it and I hoe the casino does more things like that.  So, I just thought I'd give my two cents.

CK:                 Thank you, Jolanda.  Violet? 

VF:                  Violet Folden, #625.  I've got a couple of things I'd like to make a comment on.  One of them is our movie night we've been having.  They are so awesome.  The -- t he movies are usually child oriented, which is fine with me.  I like a good carton as well as the next guy but I mean the kids have so much fun in there.  They feed them very well.  It's just an awesome all around event that I think -- I would like to see more of our Tribal members participate in.  It's good for the kids.  It's good for the parents and it's just something that's nice.  I helped them serve food Monday night in there because they were swamped and we went in and watched the movie and the movie was really cute and I just -- I cannot understand why more people don't respond to these kinds of things.  I mean it's free and it's awesome.  It -- it's both.  The other thing is the elder's bingo.  We have elder's bingo twice a month and it's open to anybody 18 and over that wants to play bingo.  And we have fun there.  I mean, we don't have professional callers but we have a ball and we really, I think, it's a finger food potluck and oh is it awesome.  Anybody that gets a chance should come play bingo.  I think they play this Friday night in here and it's just really -- it's only a couple hours.  The games are 25 cents apiece.  So, the price is right.  And, I mean, their pot was almost $40 on just a single game.  The last game was $78 because it doubled.  So, you know, it's a lot of fun.  A lot of fun.  And nobody gets irate and nobody gets crazy.  We just sit there and have a good time.  And I'd really like to see more people participate in this kind of stuff.  This is -- this is what we're here for to entertain, have fun, in a very inexpensive way and I think this is what we really need instead of running out to the casino and spending two or three hundred dollars.  I don't know about the rest of you but I've learned I can't afford it.  I've got to stay home and it's easier to find something to do here or watch TV and I get tired of it.  And by the way, Steve, where's my flowers?  I seen you carrying them in today.  I want to know what happened to my flowers?

SB:                  I was going to stop and -- and see if you would accept this rose. 

VF:                  Yeah.  My (unintelligible).  Yeah.  Yeah.  Those beautiful red roses.  Oh, god.  I've got to hurry.  Oh, maybe Steve will bring me my bouquet of flowers.  I just didn't see you.  (Laughter) 

CK:                 (Chuckling)  Oh.  Is there a motion to adjourn? 

CM:                 I'll move.

VS:                  Second.

CK:                 All in favor say aye.

MEMB:           Aye.  (In Unison)

CK:                 Opposed?  Abstentions?  The meeting is adjourned.  Thank you all for coming.

(Concluded)