Student Rental Assistance

Tribal Housing

Address: 28450 Tyee Road Grand Ronde, OR 97347 | Hours: Monday - Friday 8am - 12pm 1pm - 5pm

Phone: 503-879-2401 | Fax: 503-879-5973

The purpose of the Student Rental Assistance program is to support low-income Tribal members attend college by assisting them with their housing rental costs. The current program supports students attending college or vocational school in the United States. HUD income limits apply and are subject to change annually.

Applications must be mailed to:
Grand Ronde Housing Department
28450 Tyee Road
Grand Ronde, OR 97347
Incomplete applications will be returned.
Questions can be sent to:


Student Rental Assistance Application

Student Rental Assistance Policies & Procedures

Livability Standards

General advice: Print clearly. Make sure your email address is the one you regularly use – we will be using this email address to contact you with questions and information. Fill out all sections of the application. Make sure you get the application to us at least 30 days prior to the first day of classes. How to avoid having to pay back the SRA money: Overpayment Avoidance PDF



Q. Do you provide assistance if I will be living in a dorm?

A. Yes, please make sure you provide GRHD with a copy of your dorm contract or a copy of the invoice you receive for on campus housing

Q. Can this program help me with my mortgage payments while I am going to school?

A. Sorry, but no.

Q. How much money will I receive?

A. $250 for half time attendance (6 – 11 credits) $500 for full time attendance (12+ credits)

HOWEVER, we cannot pay you more money than your rent; for example, if your rent is $475, your assistance payment will only be $475. If you have a roommate, we will split the rental amount listed on the rental agreement between the two of you to determine the payment you will receive.

Q. How do I get the money?

A. Once approved for the program, a check will be sent directly to you monthly. It is important that we have an accurate mailing address. This is especially important for students living on campus or with numerous roommates. If you need the check sent to a more trusted address (your parents, a family friend, etc.) we can do that for you.

Q. Can my rental assistance check be direct deposited into my checking account?

A. No, we haven’t instituted a direct deposit program.

Q. How do I send stuff?

A. You can fax (503-879-1516), scan & email, take a picture & email, or just mail.

Many students take photos and send those via email. Please make sure the documents you send this way are clear and readable.

If you are sending documents straight from the websites, please make sure that information doesn’t get dropped. A lot of website pages are not “what you see is what you get”. They drop the name of the school, your name, etc. Please make sure all the information transfers. (Note: copy and paste onto a Word Document works well, especially when it is an HTML webpage from the institution.)

Q. Do I need to provide income verification information on my roommates?

A. No. We only need their names if you know them, and if you are not living on campus.

Q. What is the difference between roommates and household members?

A. For purposes of this program:

Roommates are people living in the household with you who are not related to you. We do not count roommates’ income when determining your income eligibility for the program.

Household members are family who are living with you. Boyfriends/girlfriends are considered “quasi-spousal” and therefore are considered household members. We do use household members’ income when determining income eligibility for the program.

Q. Do I need to list my trust fund under assets?

A. YES, however, it does not count towards your income eligibility for the program.

Q. For income verification, should I list my grants & loans?

A. No.

Q. I don’t have my apartment yet, should I go ahead and send in my application?

A. YES, that way we can get things started up for you. Many students do not get their apartment or even see their apartment until days before their classes start, but we need the application at least 30 days prior to the first day of classes – staff at GRHD needs time to set up files, make sure we have all the other documentation, etc.